Following the Queensland Government’s announcement of a further easing of restrictions in Queensland from Tuesday, 17 November, Queensland Health has released some COVID Safe reminders for upcoming off-field events.
Changes now in effect
- Indoor sporting venues can increase person limits to 1 per person per 2 square metres
- Up to 1,500 people can now attend outdoor events that have a COVID Safe Event Checklist
- Major sports stadiums (i.e. The Gabba, Metricon Stadium etc.) can increase seated capacity from 75% to 100% for ticketed events with an approved COVID Safe Plan
For more information, please refer to the current restrictions for sport, recreation and fitness while updates are made to the Industry COVID Safe Plans and supporting information on the Return to Play website.
Planning off-field events
When planning events or activities over the holiday season, please remember that existing approved Industry COVID Safe Plans cover the operations of regular seasonal fixtures and competition only. Any ‘off-field’ activities come under the Industry Framework for COVID Safe Events.
For the majority of events and activities, the following steps are required:
- Completion of a COVID Safe Event Checklist with no further approval from Queensland Health for outdoor events fewer than 1,500 people or indoor events fewer than 50 people
- Sign and display the Statement of Compliance for COVID Safe Event Checklist during your event/activity
Can we still have a social game of our sport at our end of year celebration?
Yes. During the game participants can encroach on the 1.5 metre physical distancing rule but off the field of play physical distancing requirements need to be maintained.
Can we still take our annual group photo?
Yes, however you must consider physical distancing. Ask everyone to spread out if you have the space, or maybe create a group photo using a montage of single photos sent in or taken at the event.
If it’s all a bit too much this year, can members gather elsewhere?
Yes, absolutely. A simple gathering at another COVID Safe venue may be a good option.
What else could we try?
While the focus here is on ‘off-field’ events, it is important to ensure you are continuing to follow Industry COVID Safe Plans on the field of play as well. The safety of members, participants, spectators and the responsibility to comply with these plans remains vital to our return to play. For more information refer to the Return to Play website.
If you have a success story, a great idea or a suggestion that others can benefit from, send through your story, idea, photo or video to the Sport and Recreation COVID team.