Football Queensland has reinforced its commitment to eliminating poor behaviour from the game with the relaunch of the Protect Our Game initiative, taking a leading role in combatting abuse through the implementation of a bold and robust Three Strike Policy and new reporting mechanism.
“It has been alarming to see a considerable increase in reports of abuse, particularly against referees, and other forms of unacceptable behaviour both on and off the field this season,” FQ President Paula Robinson said.
“More than 1,200 red cards have already been issued in 2023, while off the field we’ve received many reports of concerning incidents involving players, parents and referees.
“Football Queensland has absolutely zero tolerance for poor behaviour within our game and is committed to stamping this out at every level; the Three Strike Policy will play a key role in this, providing stronger measures for dealing with verbal and physical forms of abuse directed at referees and other members of our football community.”
“As the state’s governing body, Football Queensland recognises the importance of leading the way in developing and investing in the necessary policies to support and protect our participants across the state,” FQ CEO Robert Cavallucci said.
“Our referees in particular play a crucial role in the delivery of our game, and we must do everything we can to ensure football remains a safe place for match officials and for all who love our game.
“As we roll out a strengthened Three Strike Policy and new reporting mechanism after the initial launch of Protect Our Game last year, we’re calling on all participants, spectators and club members to help us eliminate poor behaviour from our game by reporting any instances of abuse, violence and other incidents through the new QR code process.
“Every club and venue across the state will be required to display Protect Our Game signage featuring this QR code in key, visible locations as we work together with our football community to build a safer game for all Queenslanders.”
The new Three Strike Policy will come into effect from Monday, 10 July 2023 and will apply to all new incidents from this date.